“The End” – Yes!

13 Mar

The most satisfying phrase a writer can type is “The End.” I did that yesterday after completing the first draft of my next feature film, yet to be titled.

“The End” is not satisfying because the writing is over, in fact, many would argue that is when the real writing begins: “Writing is re-writing.” Rather, typing “The End” signifies an immense accomplishment. It signifies perseverance. It signifies integrity.

I spent about four months developing my characters, settings and plot, culminating in a highly detailed outline. As a result, I completed my first draft in less than three weeks, typing about 10 pages a day, totally 136 pages.

The only way I did this was to put my nose to the grindstone while writing and never looking back. I did not reread previously written scenes nor did I go back and edit. I just kept on writing, trusting my outline and instinct, which resulted in the most satisfying feeling, “The End”!

The film is a portrait of love between a lone farmhand and a devout caregiver, set on an Indiana farm at the end of summer. As is often the case with my films, there isn’t much story, nor is there much conflict; however, I like to believe there is a lot of life, the life that takes place in-between the action we commonly see in love films.

So “The End” is just the beginning for me and I am immensely excited to share more with you as this film unfolds!!!

About these ads

9 Responses to ““The End” – Yes!”

1. Jim March 18, 2012 at 9:34 am #

You wrote “a portrait of love between a lone farmhand and a devout caregiver” – I’ll suggest you rent Sweetland if you are not familiar with it. Not the same certainly, but some similar elements.

• Christopher March 18, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Thank you for the suggestion, Jim! It’s available on Netflix instant, so I’ll be watching it soon :)

2. Sajib March 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

I never knew you also wrote! I thought you’re just a director. You’re a greater person than that!

I’m excited and happy that you got another plot and story typed down for your next feature film. Has Girlfriend 19 been released yet? Haven’t seen the trailer anywhere yet. If not, I have to agree that you’re a very hard-working person. Film 1 isn’t out yet and you’ve already started working on film 2!

Regarding the end, I believe that’s when the real pain begins.

• Christopher March 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Yes, Sajib, I write as well. In fact, I’ve written all the films I’ve made, though I am very open and happy to direct a film written by someone else.

Girlfriend 19 is still being submitted to festivals, so I have not made it available to the public yet. Festivals really dislike it when a film has been “released” prior to the festival screening, unless it was a festival release to begin with. This is at least true with larger festivals. So I’m keeping the movie unreleased for a bit longer.

Thank you for asking and when I do make it available, I will let everyone know via this blog. And I’ll post the trailer too, when that is available.

3. Chris March 13, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Congrats! Looking forward to your next project.

4. onfoodandfilm March 13, 2012 at 10:45 am #

Woo hoo! Huge deal. Take a break and enjoy…

• Christopher March 14, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Thanks!!! I took the day off yesterday :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. New Film Synopsis « Follow My Film - April 26, 2012

[…] there you go!  As I mentioned before, I recently completed the first draft of the script and am now rewriting.  I’m excited to […]